The City of Mexia is located at the intersection of U.S. Highway 84 and State Highways 14 and 171. It is approximately 40 miles east of Waco and about 1 1/2 hours south of the Dallas/Ft. Worth Metroplex.
The city's motto, based on the fact that outsiders tend to mispronounce the name (Mexia), it is "A great place, no matter how you pronounce it.”
Named after General José Antonio Mexía, a Hispanic hero for the Republic of Texas Army during the Texas Revolution, the town was founded near his estate, whose ownership dates to 1833. Things were pretty quiet in these parts until the railroad arrived. Mexia was platted in 1870 by the Houston and Texas Central Townsite Company, a sister company of the Houston and Texas Central Railroad. Lots went on sale in 1871 when the tracks between Hearne and Groesbeck were still under construction. A post office was granted in 1872, and Mexia was incorporated the following year. A large deposit of natural gas was discovered in 1912 by the Mexia Gas and Oil Company and in 1920, the Mexia Oilfield was found. These discoveries led to rapid population growth in the area.
Nearby attractions include Mexia Public Schools Museum, Fort Parker Historical recreation, the Confederate Reunion Grounds, Fort Parker State Park, Lake Mexia, and Mexia State Supported Living Center (formerly Mexia State School), which began as a German prisoner of War Camp built in 1942 during World War II.
Mexia and Nearby Attractions
- Confederate Reunion Grounds State Historical Park located 8.5 miles southwest of Mexia.
- Mexia Public Schools Museum located in Mexia.
- Old Fort Parker State Historic Site located 8 miles south of Mexia.
- Lake Mexia is located on the Navasota River 7 miles southwest of Mexia.
- Fort Parker State park is located 7 miles south of Mexia.